Are you a MED student looking to cut through the hustle and bustle of hunting for a medical scholarship in Europe?
There are plenty of available medical scholarships for MED students including dentists, psychiatrists, nurses, pharmacists, physical therapists, general medical practitioners, and others. Recent developments and advancements in medical studies necessitate the rise of specializations within this field of study.
What’s good? You just might be eligible for a good number of these international scholarships which aim to bring a diverse and comprehensive student demographic to universities across Europe.
You’ll be overwhelmed with the bounty of benefits to earning your undergraduate or postgraduate degree in Europe – from lower or even free tuition to securing quality education from an affordable and top-notch medical college. Listed below are a number of the most prominent medical scholarships, grants, and fellowships at your college of interest:
European Scholarships for International Medical Students
1. Ph.D. | Postdoctoral Bioinformatics Positions – University of Helsinki, Finland
The Faculty of Medicine of the University of Helsinki is summoning medical students’ applications for Ph.D. | postdoctoral positions in the field of Bioinformatics.
Who is Eligible?
It may interest you to know that international students are eligible to apply for the scholarship program. For successful admittance to a Finnish or Swedish program, you have to exhibit outstanding communication skills in Finnish or Swedish.
Successful applicants must have, or be close to having:
- An M.Sc. or a Ph.D. degree and an undisputable background in Bioinformatics, Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics or Systems Biology
- A sturdy passion for the computational solving of intricate biological problems – such as those of Molecular Oncology
- Solid programming abilities – such as Python and C++
- Ample know-how of mathematical network modeling approaches
- The ability to independently work in a multi-disciplinary team – you might have to work and commune with biologists.
2. Talented Athlete Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme (TASS) for International Students in UK – University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
The Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS) is currently available at the University of Edinburgh. You can earn a scholarship to pursue an undergraduate program in Arts and Law, Life and Environmental Sciences, Social Sciences, Engineering and Physical Sciences, as well as Medical and Dental Sciences.
TASS is a partnership, Sports England-funded, between the national sports-governing organizations, talented athletes, and educational institutions. This Scheme is meant to offer educational support to talented athletes, who are over 16 years. If chosen, you can access supplementary support services, for example Physiotherapy and Lifestyle.
Who is Eligible?
EU applicants, Overseas (Non-EU) students, and those from the UK are eligible.
To be an eligible applicant for the scholarship, you must adhere to the following:
- You can choose to study in any desired subject and a number of Paralympics sports – keep in mind that summer and winter sports are considered.
- You must have, or be achieving, national sport recognition at least at the U18 category
- Your English language skills must be excellent
3. Viking Olov Bjӧrk’s Research Scholarship– Uppsala University, Sweden
The Uppsala University is delighted to summon scholarship applications of young researchers in the Applied Biomaterial field of study worth to be about 275, 000 Swedish Crowns.
The scholarship backs research between Medical Technology and its close-to-clinical applications. This encompasses research and development in fields of study such as Nanotechnology, Tissue Engineering, or Biomaterial Research.
Applicants must have to exhibit proficiency in their English language skills through an internationally recognized test, for example IELTS, TOEFL, or the equivalent.
Who is Eligible?
Swedish applicants are eligible to apply.
For you to be eligible for this scholarship program, you must be:
- A young researcher, at a Nordic University, who showcases excellent scientific skills in the field of study
- Show an aptitude for leadership in the field of study supported by the scholarship
[Take a look at the Viking Olov Bjӧrk’s scholarship application procedure]
4. Talent Grant of the Graduate School of Medical Sciences – University of Groningen, Netherlands
Are you a high-potential student looking for an opportunity to excel in Medical or Pharmaceutical Sciences?
Well, the Graduate School of Medical Sciences (GS-MS) of the University of Groningen is accepting Talent Grant applications from medical students all around the world.
Who is Eligible?
Applicants from all over the world are eligible to apply for this Talent Grant. Remember – the university may require you to provide proof of your proficiency in English language.
For you to be eligible for this Talent Grant, you have to be among the top students in your class and have an ambition to take up a career in medical or pharmaceutical research.
[Have a look at other Scholarship plans in Netherlands]
5 Postdoctoral Fellowships for International Students – IBEC BEST Program, Spain
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) – a revolutionary multi-disciplinary research hub in Barcelona, Spain – is inviting applications for the Bioengineering Excellence Scientific Training (BEST) program.
IBEC oversees exceptional inter-disciplinary studies at the front-lines of engineering and life sciences in an attempt to create new knowledge through the coupling of study fields including Biophysics, Nanomedicine, Tissue Engineering, Biotechnology, as well as the applications of Information Technology.
Who is Eligible?
It might interest you to know that applicants from all nationalities are eligible to apply. For a successful admittance to the program, you must showcase impeccable English language skills.
However, you’re not eligible if you’ve resided, or worked, in Spain for over 12 months in the 3 years prior to the publication date of the decisive listing of chosen applicants.
Note – short stays, for example holidays, will not be taken into account. Also, for refugees under the Geneva Convention, the refugee procedure – before your refugee status is conferred – will not be taken into account as a ‘period of residence | activity’ in Spain.
For applicants to be eligible, they must have:
- A Ph.D. degree prior to the publication date of the decisive listing of chosen applicants – Please keep in mind that you’ll only be eligible for a period of 5 years after the award of your Ph.D. degree.
However, this limit may be extended for the necessary duration in the case of documented career breaks, for example maternity | paternity leave, sick leave, or even military service.
Also, should you be in the possession of more than one doctoral degree – keep in mind that the period will be counted from the first degree you earned
- First author privileges on no less than one peer-reviewed publication by the time of the call deadline
[Read more on the application procedure for the IBEC BEST fellowship program]