Located in the north-eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea and south of Turkey, Cyprus is the largest island in the eastern Mediterranean and is also the third smallest country in the European Union behind Malta and Luxembourg. Cyprus became a member of the EU as a de facto divided island. The capital of Cyprus is Nicosia. Cyprus is divided into two language groups: Turkish Cypriots and Greek Cypriots. The official language is Turkish and Greek.
Why You Will Love Cyprus
- Enjoy the weather: Owing to its geographical location in the Mediterranean, Cyprus has an excellent climate. The winters are not as cold as those of other European countries and summer heat is tempered with the cool breeze from the sea.
- Ski Mt. Olympus: It’s not possible, you’ll be told. How can you ski in a hot country? Well, you can! anytime between Christmas and Easter there can be up to two metres of snow in the High Troodos mountains and the Cyprus Ski Club will hire out ski equipment and before you know it you’ll be on the ski lift and on your way to a bizarre and thrilling holiday experience.
- Swim Around Aphrodite’s Rock: If you love to swim and you can swim, then Cyprus is the perfect place to study in Europe and there’s no better place than Aphrodite’s rock. Legend has it that if you swim round Aphrodite’s rock near pissouri you will come out looking ten years younger. Be careful however, with the currents around the rock there’s a chance you might not come out at all.
- Eat a Meze: If you’ve a hearty appetite or are just curious about the different types of food the Cypriots are famous for, try a meze. They come in meat, fish or vegetarian varieties and are a small selection of everything on the menu. I’ve never got all the way through to the ‘glyko’ sweets followed by fresh fruit at the end but I’ll keep trying!
Education in Cyprus
Education in Cyprus is overseen by the Ministry of Education and Culture. University education in Cyprus begins with a four-year bachelor’s degree. Postgraduate degrees include master’s degrees, either taught or by research, and the doctorate, a research degree that usually takes at least three years. Universities require accreditation in order to issue degrees.
Higher, or tertiary education is provided by a network of state and private universities and college. Private universities were first accredited in 2005 and require a special licence to operate and award degrees. The list below are some of the universities in Cyprus accredited by the government to award academic degrees.
- University of Cyprus
- Open University of Cyprus
- Cyprus University of Technology
- European University Cyprus
- Frederick University
- Neapolis University
- University of Nicosia
Living and Studying in Cyprus
The Academic year begins on 1 September and ends 31 August in most universities in Cyprus. At public universities, teaching and other educational activities is carried out between September and may and it is divided into two semesters. At the Private Schools of Tertiary Education instruction is offered between October and June and is also divided in two semesters. Some Private Schools of Tertiary Education offer summer courses as well.
Tuition fee in Cyprus
Tuition fees for public universities range from EUR 2500 to approximately EUR 7000 per academic year for EU students and EUR 4000 to EUR 13000 for non-EU/EEA students.
For the Master’s level, tuition and fees range from EUR 7500 to EUR 15000.
Accommodation and Living Expenses
Accommodation and living expenses for students studying in Nicosia (the capital of Cyprus) and renting a flat (i.e., not living in student residence halls on campus) are about EUR 750, with about half of this amount allocated for rent and the remainder for food, entertainment, and incidental expenses. Expenses are considerably lower in the other towns of Cyprus (Larnaca and Limassol) where tertiary institutions operate, primarily due to lower rents.
All institutions operate student residence facilities on their campuses,. Prospective students are advised to inquire directly with the institutions in which they are interested on whether they provide residence facilities, and what the costs are.
Apply to Study in Cyprus
Cyprus is a great place to study and if you decide to choose cyprus as your study destination, you’ll need the admission requirements and how to apply as well as the visa requirements. The following article discusses the admission requirements to study in Cyprus.